Re: timeout implementation issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: timeout implementation issues
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

> > > In my scenario, setQueryTimeout() only saves the timeout
> > > value and issues the corrsponding SET QUERY_TIMEOUT command
> > > immediately before each query if necessary.
> >
> > Yes, we can do that,
>
> Something like my scenario is needed because there could be
> more than 1 statement objects with relatively different
> query timeout at the same time in theory.

Yes, if you want multiple timeouts, you clearly could go in that
direction.  Right now, we are considering only single-statement timing
and no one has asked for multiple timers.

> > but it requires an interface like odbc or jdbc.  It
> > is hard to use for libpq or psql.
>
> We shouldn't expect too much on psql in the first place
> because it isn't procedural. I don't expect too much on
> libpq either because it's a low level interface. However
> applications which use libpq could do like odbc or jdbc
> does. Or libpq could also provide a function which encap-
> sulates the query timeout handling if necessary.

I certainly would like _something_ that works in psql/libpq, and the
simple SET QUERY_TIMEOUT does work for them.   More sophisticated stuff
probably should be done in the application or interface.

Pennsylvania19026