Re: timeout implementation issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: timeout implementation issues
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> > > I vote against you. If a variable is local to the session, you
> > > can change it as you like without bothering any other user(session).
> > > Automatic resetting of the varibales is rather confusing to me.
> >
> > I don't see how this relates to other users.  All SET commands that can
> > be changed in psql are per backend, as far as I remember.
>
> Sorry for my poor explanation. What I meant is that *Rollback*
> is to cancel the changes made to SQL-data or schemas
> not to put back the variables which are local to the session.

OK, got it, so if someone makes a session change while in a transaction,
and the transaction aborts, should the SET be rolled back too?  If not,
then we should honor the SET's that happen after the transaction aborts.
However, Tom's schema changes require a db connection, so it is hard to
honor the SET's once the transaction aborts.  That is how we got to the
abort all SET's in an aborted transaction.

Pennsylvania19026