Re: timeout implementation issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: timeout implementation issues
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Jan Wieck <janwieck@yahoo.com> writes:
> >     Could  we  get  out  of  this  by  defining that "timeout" is
> >     automatically reset at next statement end?
>
> I was hoping to avoid that, because it seems like a wart.  OTOH,
> it'd be less of a wart than the global changes of semantics that
> Bruce is proposing :-(
>
> How exactly would you make this happen?  The simplest way I can think of
> to do it (reset timeout in outer loop in postgres.c) would not work,
> because it'd reset the timeout as soon as the SET statement completes.
> How would you get the setting to survive for exactly one additional
> statement?
   I  would  vote  for a general callback registering mechanism,   where you can specify an event,  a  function  and
an opaque   pointer.  Possible events then would be end of statement, end   of transaction, commit, abort, regular end
ofsession.

   Sure, it looks  like  total  overkill  for  this  minor  JDBC   problem.   But  I  like  general  support structures
tobe in   place early.

Jan