Re: Locale support is now on by default - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Locale support is now on by default
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > > I don't recall log being so high.  Didn't it use to be after info?
> > > Certainly there should be a way to see only warnings, errors, and higher
> > > without seeing the "unimportant" log messages.  Actually, I'm also
> > > confused why we now have info, notice, *and* warning.  Shouldn't two of
> > > these be enough?
> >
> > We added NOTICE and INFO and WARNING because they were required.  INFO
> > is for SET-like information, NOTICE is for non-warnings like sequence
> > creation for SERIAL, and WARNING is for real warnings like identifier
> > truncation.
>
> OK, let me phrase my question clearly:  How can I turn off LOG and turn on
> all errors in the server log?

Right now, you can't.  I originally had LOG next to INFO, and for server
it was INFO, then LOG, and for client, it was LOG, then INFO, but
someone suggested that LOG should be between ERROR and FATAL because
most people want LOG stuff before they want to see ERROR/WARNING/NOTICE
in the server logs.

If you would prefer LOG down near INFO in the server message levels,
please post the idea and let's get some more comments from folks.

We thought about going with a bitwise capability where you could turn on
different messages types independently, but the use of that with SET and
the confusion hardly seemed worth it.

Pennsylvania19026