Re: Altering a CHAR(4) column CHAR(5) changing pg_attribute - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Altering a CHAR(4) column CHAR(5) changing pg_attribute
Date
List pgsql-general
Stephan Szabo wrote:

> On 26 Mar 2002, Denis Gasparin wrote:
>
> > I have a table with a column of type CHAR(4) and I want to change the
> > column type to CHAR(5). This table is referenced by many other tables
> > and dropping it and recreating will be a massacre...
> >
> > So I have had this idea:
> > why do not change the row of that column in the pg_attribute system
> > table?
> >
> > In particular my idea is to change the atttypmod from 8 to 9 (I have
> > thought char(5) is larger 1 byte than char(4)...then...).
> >
> > Is this possible? There will be bad consequences for my table?
>
> If you were using varchar, this would be fine. With char, you have
> issues with the padding spaces if you ever convert them to text
> (for example using lower or upper).

    The padding issue with char is, that it is actually padded on
    input, and the change in the  atttypmod  doesn't  change  the
    padding  of  the  individual  values.  To correct that, you'd
    have to touch all the existing values, so they go through the
    padding again.

        UPDATE q1 SET a = a || '';

    would do the job just fine in your example.

Jan