Re: Problem with reloading groups in pg_hba.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Problem with reloading groups in pg_hba.conf
Date
List pgsql-hackers
pgman wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian writes:
> >
> > > I am adding users and groups to pg_hba.conf.
> >
> > You know what would be cool?
> >
> > GRANT CONNECT ON mydb TO GROUP myfriends;
> >
> > and it rewrites pg_hba.conf accordingly.
> >
> > Just a thought...
>
> We are actually not that far away.  If you create a group for each
> database, you can grant access to just that group and add/delete users
> from that group at will.  My new pg_group code will do that.
>
> Now, as far as rewriting pg_hba.conf, that goes into an area where we
> are not sure if the master connection information is in the file or in
> the database.  We also get into a chicken and egg case where we have to
> have the database loaded to connect to it.  I am interested to hear
> where people think we should go with this.

I have another idea.  What if we had a default group for each database,
like pg_connect_{dbname}, and you can add/remove users from that group
to grant/remove connection privileges?  Sort of like a default +dbname
in pg_hba.conf.

It sort of merges the group feature with pg_hba.conf connections.

Pennsylvania19026