Re: Newbie question - Which Linux? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Wollschlaeger
Subject Re: Newbie question - Which Linux?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello

On Thursday 21 March 2002 19:27, daniel wrote:
> as far as i know they're all pretty much the same when talking about db
> compatability.  here's my take on the two i've dealt with:
>
>     suse  really easy, but if you have trouble,
>           a great deal of the help online is in
>           german
>
>   redhat  a little less stable in some areas,
>           for some reason they insist on using
>           the VERY latest kernel.  but their
>           use of "rpm's" makes everything real
>           easy, and the mailing lists and help
>           online is mostly english.

Oops? Thought it was the other way round? At least I had some trouble with
Suse 7.3 and its 2.4.10 Kernel (until i decided to ignore SuSE's warnings and
made my own 2.4.16 Kernel :-) , whereas i recently read a statement from
RedHat that they'll "stay with 2.4.9 until the new kernels pass their test
suite". Alas, building a homegrown Kernel is always good fun....

Greetings
Andreas