Re: Problem with reloading groups in pg_hba.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: Problem with reloading groups in pg_hba.conf
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 11:38:05AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I am handling it like pg_shadow. The problem is that because I expand
> pg_group inside the pg_hba tokens, I have to retokenize pg_hba.conf too
> after pg_group changes.  I assumed we didn't want pg_hba.conf
> retokenized on a password change and only on a pg_ctl reload.
>
> My new code has a separate pg_group token list which is not expanded
> into the pg_hba.conf token list and is traversed for every connection.

Hmm, your trading performance on every connection for less work on the
rare event of a password change? What's wrong with reparsing pg_hba.conf
at password/group change? Streamline the common case, don't optimize for
the rare condition.

Ross