Re: How to create crude report with psql and/or plpgsql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Eckermann
Subject Re: How to create crude report with psql and/or plpgsql
Date
List pgsql-general
I have found psql by itself to be quite sufficient to
produce some nice looking reports.

Basic approach is to create script like:
SELECT 'This is my header';
SELECT <whatever data desired>;
SELECT <subtotals or whatever else desired>;
SELECT 'Report run at: ' || current_timestamp;
(as an example footer)

You can also introduce psql commands along the way to
vary the appearance of the output.

I have found it possible to go a long way with a
simple approach like this.  If you want a high degree
of control over the appearance, you will need to
follow one of the other suggestions made during the
course of this thread.