Re: Access to Postgres query problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Access to Postgres query problem
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 02:59:23PM -0800, Booth, Robert wrote:
> I need to run a query in an Access client to my Postgres backend.
[snip]

> Now to my question.  When I do this from within Access it wants to use it's
> own SUM and so it complains about the cast().  How can I either force Access
> into sending the entire query to Postgres and just waiting for the
> resultset, or force Access into performing the multiplication also?

Basically you have to solutions. Change the schema so they are they same
type so the cast is not required. Or use a pass-through query. That's listed
right next to the union query. You can't use the query builder then but
access will send exactly what you type.

What I generally do is use the query builder to build the structure and then
convert to passthrough for final touching up.

> Or my other thought is that I need to build my own operator/function to
> handle the multiplying of double precision and numeric data types.  If this
> is what I should do how should I go about it?

You'd have to write you're own function for this, which would slow it down.
Mind you, not really more than what it does with the cast.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/