Re: create function problem - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: create function problem
Date
List pgsql-sql
Kancha . wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > > create function usage(text)
> > > returns numeric
> > > as 'select ceil(sum(sessiontime)/60) from
> > ath_online
> > > where loginname=\'$1\' and  startdate >= (select
> > > startdate from cst_package where status=\'t\' and
> > > cid=(select cid from cst_customer where
> > > loginname=\'$1\'));'
> > > language 'sql';
> >
> > Try to replace \'$1\' with just $1 (i.e. loginname =
> > $1).
> >

> the argument is a string so it has to be enclosed in
> quotes and \ is to escape the quote. replacing with
> just $1 will give error like following:
   The  argument  is  a  string and $1 becomes a T_Param node of   type "text" in your case, which is a perfectly
valid string   without  the quotes.  Don't get confused by the $ sign in the   parameter name. $1 is treated like a
variablename.

   Just  try  "exactly"  what  was  suggested,   including   the   whitespaces surrounding the = operator. Write
       loginname = $1
   instead of
       loginname=$1
   This  does  not  only make the code more readable for humans.   The parser likes it too.

Jan