Re: Performance issues - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eric Lee Green
Subject Re: Performance issues
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday 18 March 2002 11:21 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> Doug McNaught <doug@wireboard.com> writes:
> > So just te be clear, what you're seeing is that batched INSERTs go
> > fast, and batched SELECTs go fast, but when you interleave them it's
> > really slow?
> > If you can provide a test case, I'm
> > willing to bet the PG gurus will be interested...
>
> Yup, I'd be interested in a test case.  This behavior makes no sense
> to me either :-(

GRRR! I wrote a quicky test program that bypasses the transaction processing
and just logs or skips the file. I can skip already-inserted files at
approximately 1,000 records per second, and insert new files into the
database at approximately 300 records per second.

It's obvious that I'm not having a PostgreSQL problem. I'm beginning to think
I have an interaction with a $^%@#$% piece of crap commercial device driver
installed on the system.

I thank you for your kind responses anyhow, even though it didn't turn out to
be a PostGreSQL problem.

 -- Eric