Re: Client/Server compression? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Client/Server compression?
Date
Re: Client/Server compression?  (Neil Conway <nconway@klamath.dyndns.org>)
Re: Client/Server compression?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Client/Server compression?  ("Mark Pritchard" <mark@tangent.net.au>)
Re: Client/Server compression?  (Greg Copeland <greg@CopelandConsulting.Net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Copeland wrote:

Checking application/pgp-signature: FAILURE
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> Well, it occurred to me that if a large result set were to be identified
> before transport between a client and server, a significant amount of
> bandwidth may be saved by using a moderate level of compression.
> Especially with something like result sets, which I tend to believe may
> lend it self well toward compression.
>
> Unlike FTP which may be transferring (and often is) previously
> compressed data, raw result sets being transfered between the server and
> a remote client, IMOHO, would tend to compress rather well as I doubt
> much of it would be true random data.

I should have said compressing the HTTP protocol, not FTP.

> This may be of value for users with low bandwidth connectivity to their
> servers or where bandwidth may already be at a premium.

But don't slow links do the compression themselves, like PPP over a
modem?

Pennsylvania19026