Re: FAQ -- 'cache lookup failed' still a puzzle - Mailing list pgsql-general

From will trillich
Subject Re: FAQ -- 'cache lookup failed' still a puzzle
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 10:35:55AM -0800, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> > the rule that intercepts 'insert' works like a charm -- and the
> > primary difference is that the 'update' rule (above) calls
> > stage_change() where the create rule doesn't need to -- so i
> > thought that might be the culprit:
> >
> >     db> select stage_change(0,1,1);
> >      stage_change
> >     --------------
> >                 0
> >     (1 row)
> >
> > so it's not. or at least it's got *me* convinced, anyhow.
>
> Well, it's not going to be referenced by name any more, it'll be
> referenced by oid which is changed when you drop and create
> it again.  You'd need to drop and create the rule again as well.

duh! i'd done one too many cut-and-paste's. the function
definition wound up AFTER its first invocation in my source sql,
so naturally it got clobbered in the redefinition...

    create view ... select fn() as ... ;
    drop function fn(); -- hello? is this thing on?
    create function fn() ...;

sometimes it just takes a public post to bring the humility back
home. thanks!

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #114 from D & E Radel <radel@inet.net.nz>
: