Re: backup postgres database - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Martín Marqués
Subject Re: backup postgres database
Date
List pgsql-php
On Mié 13 Mar 2002 15:51, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> pg_dump and psql are your friends.
>
> Dump the database with pg_dump, take the file and insert it into psql
> on the other machine. Details are covered in the manpages of these
> programs.
>
> Crude (without options): pg_dump your_db > your_db.dump
>                          psql < your_db.dump

This will almost always give an error (even though lots of docs have this
sintaxis). That's because you didn't tell psql which database to connect to,
so he'll try to connect to a database with the name of the user (in my case,
that would be martin, or postgres in the case of administration duties).

My 2 cents

--
Porqué usar una base de datos relacional cualquiera,
si podés usar PostgreSQL?