Re: ERROR: DefineIndex: index function must be marked iscachable - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: ERROR: DefineIndex: index function must be marked iscachable
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 08:10:12PM +0800, Lec wrote:
> With version 7.2, when I tried to create an index using the built-in
> funtion date(), I got an error:
>
> ai=> create index stl_date on stl(date(stl_trxdate) );
> ERROR:  DefineIndex: index function must be marked iscachable
>
> What does this mean?  I could do so under version 7.1.2

When a function is marked "iscachable" it means that for the same input it
will always produce the same output. This is obviously a desirable property
for something you want to index on.

So, add the "iscachable" function to the "create function" statement.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/