Re: numeric/decimal docs bug? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: numeric/decimal docs bug?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane writes:
> > #define NUMERIC_MAX_PRECISION       1000
> >>
> >> I was thinking just the other day that there's no reason for that
> >> limit to be so low.  Jan, couldn't we bump it up to 8 or 16K or so?
>
> > Why have an arbitrary limit at all?  Set it to INT_MAX,
>
> The hard limit is certainly no more than 64K, since we store these
> numbers in half of an atttypmod.  In practice I suspect the limit may
> be less; Jan would be more likely to remember...
   It is arbitrary of course. I don't recall completely, have to   dig into the code, but there might be some side
effect when   mucking with it.

   The NUMERIC code increases the actual internal precision when   doing multiply and divide, what  happens  a
gazillion times   when  doing higher functions like trigonometry. I think there   was some connection between the max
precision and  how  high   this internal precision can grow, so increasing the precision   might affect the
computational performance  of  such  higher   functions significantly.

Jan