using syslog to capture RAISE notices - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dan Langille
Subject using syslog to capture RAISE notices
Date
List pgsql-general
Can syslog be configured to capture RAISE messages?

Reading http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?plpgsql-
description.html#PLPGSQL-DESCRIPTION-ABORTING-AND-MESSAGES, I know how to
raise an exception, notice, or debug message.  But I've been unable to get
those messages logged via syslog.

I have this in syslog.conf:

*.debug;*.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err /var/log/messages

Here is the test routine I've used:

  DROP FUNCTION test();
CREATE FUNCTION test() returns int8 AS '
    BEGIN
    raise DEBUG \'this is dan raising a notice\';
        RETURN 1;
    END
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

And the test:

fp2rifixed=# select test();
 test
------
    1
(1 row)

But nothing appears in /var/log/messages (yes, syslogd was HUP'd).

FWIW, this is PostgreSQL 7.2 under FreeBSD 4.5.
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/ - practical examples