Re: Rationalizing EXPLAIN VERBOSE output - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Liam Stewart
Subject Re: Rationalizing EXPLAIN VERBOSE output
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 11:52:49AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> EXPLAIN VERBOSE select * from pg_class;
>
>     Add prettyprinted qual clauses
>
> EXPLAIN VERBOSE VERBOSE select * from pg_class;
>
>     Add full plan-tree dump

I'd prefer having the non-prety-printed plan-tree dump moved off into
its own keyword. Eg:

EXPLAIN DUMP select * from pg_class;

The dump is sufficiently different from VERBOSE <n> output that it
should have its own keyword. Then the VERBOSE levels can just be used
for addition additional information to the pretty-printed tree and there
is no nasty shift from nice tree to ugly mess at some level.

Liam

--
Liam Stewart :: Red Hat Canada, Ltd. :: liams@redhat.com