Re: Index USING in pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From nconway@klamath.dyndns.org (Neil Conway)
Subject Re: Index USING in pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 11:07:57AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > > This is possible because btree is the default.  TODO item is:
> > >     * Remove USING clause from pg_get_indexdef() if index is btree (Bruce)
> >
> > I do not think this is necessary or helpful.  The only possible
> > reason to change it would be if we thought btree might someday
> > not be the default index type --- but no such change is on the
> > horizon.  And if one was, you've just embedded special knowledge
> > about btree in yet one more place...
>
> Yes, but it doesn't look like the way they created it.

Why is this relevant?

> Very few use
> USING in there queries.  Why show it in pg_dump output?

I agree with Tom: this seems like a waste of time, and may even be worse
than the current pg_dump output. The type of the index is "btree"; by
assuming that Pg happens to default to "btree", you're just making the
process of index restoration more fragile.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>