Re: Object ID reference - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From alex@AvengerGear.com (Debian User)
Subject Re: Object ID reference
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I have a couple way to map the object base of different database.
For PostgreSQL I'm new to it so I try to use oid + object name
as a handle. and object name converted to table name which in my
scheme is the same key as oid+tableoid that according to calcualtion
I should have 4 billion row in each table....( correct me if I'm wrong )
and I don't think I'm going to push that limit. But the problem is
I'm not able to get an object by another object id. e.g
I get base object id 1234 that is in table child, how is that possible to
be compare in the WHERE clause.

SELECT * from child WHERE myfather=1234::base;

will case error because of miss = operation
I try to build internal function for it but the return type is a int4 run
after by a function seteval with the oid SET datatype in cache?
( not sure about how this actually work, if someone write the in
out function for the default table type, please let me know I
can give it a hack )

I know I can always roll back to the generic serial as pkey link as
reference key in other table but I really really like to see the
this object casting work for postgresql.
Thanks alot guys.
Alex :)

Dave Cramer wrote:

Alex,

Most of the Object Relation Mapping I have seen get the id from a
special mechanism, so they know it before hand?

FYI oid's are not guaranteed to be unique in Postgres.

Dave