Re: point in time recovery and moving datafiles online - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: point in time recovery and moving datafiles online
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> In short, all you need is a mechanism for archiving off the WAL data and
> locating a checkpoint record in the WAL as a starting point for replay.
> Your data-file backup mechanism can be plain ol' tar or cp -r.  No
> interlocks needed or wanted.

What would happen if a table is dropped or truncated while doing tar
on it? I think we do not perform any logging while doing DROP TABLE or
TRUCATE TABLE. Logging entire table would solve the problem, but that
seems to be impossible for huge tables.

Maybe we need to have some interlock mechanism to prevent DROP
TABLE/TRUNCATE/DROP DATABSE etc. while doing a backup.
--
Tatsuo Ishii