Re: Libpq support for precision and scale - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Libpq support for precision and scale
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> BTW, I also had a bunch of concerns having to do with odd-seeming
> choices about what information would be wired into libpq and what
> would be retrieved at runtime from the backend.  I don't recall the
> details at the moment, but I want to raise a flag that that is still
> an issue for me.  I'd like to see some explicit design decisions
> about what information will be treated in which way.

I noticed that too, and looked into it.  I didn't see any hard-wired
oids (at least that I remember), but I did see cases where the
scale/precision results had to be accessed based on the specific type
involved, e.g. NUMERIC.  I don't see a way around this, and in fact most
people are doing this type-speicific stuff in their apps.  The only
other solution I can see is adding a backend function that does these
type-specific manipulations and returns them to the client.  This seems
quite attractive, especially considering changes in internal type
representations between releases.

Pennsylvania19026