Re: [SQL] Uniqueness of rule, constraint, and trigger names - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dan Langille
Subject Re: [SQL] Uniqueness of rule, constraint, and trigger names
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 4 Mar 2002 at 15:38, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org> writes:
> > On 4 Mar 2002 at 14:24, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> ... but I'm a little worried about the possibility of errors
> >> in loading schemas from existing databases, where there might be
> >> non-unique constraint names.
>
> > Create a tool to generate unique constraint names during a dump.
>
> And then all we need is a time machine, so we can make existing
> instances of pg_dump contain the tool?  It's not that easy ...

*sigh*

You don't have to modify all previous versions of pg_dump.  They use this
tool if they want to upgrade to this version.  There is no perfect
solution.  Even a script to check for uniqueness might help.  I'm just
trying to help the best way I can; by providing suggestions.  As
requested.

> I am not sure that there's really a problem here, because I don't
> think duplicate constraint names will be generated during plain
> CREATE operations.  However, an ALTER TABLE might leave you with
> a problem.  Hard to tell if this is critical enough to worry about.

It would be easily detected at load time.  Then you direct the user to the
tool mentioned above.
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/ - practical examples