Re: [SQL] Uniqueness of rule, constraint, and trigger names - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dan Langille
Subject Re: [SQL] Uniqueness of rule, constraint, and trigger names
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 4 Mar 2002 at 14:24, Tom Lane wrote:

> For constraints, we'd need to change the code to be more careful to
> generate unique names for unnamed constraints.  That doesn't seem
> difficult, but I'm a little worried about the possibility of errors
> in loading schemas from existing databases, where there might be
> non-unique constraint names.

Create a tool to generate unique constraint names during a dump.  Sounds
like a pg_dump[all] switch to me.

> Perhaps it'd be safer to maintain the
> current behavior (no uniqueness required for constraint names).

I would rather see a simple and unambigous way to maintain a single
constraint.  Perhaps a "unique/not-unique" knob is appropriate.
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/ - practical examples