Re: elog() patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: elog() patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Peter is also concerned if allowing clients to see elog() messages is a
> > security problem.  Clients can't see postmaster messages because there
> > is no client at the time, but backend messages will be visible.  I can't
> > think of any server log messages that shouldn't be seen by the client.
>
> The only thing I can think of is the detailed authorization-failure
> messages that the postmaster has traditionally logged but not sent to
> the client.  We need to be sure that the client cannot change that
> behavior by setting PGOPTIONS.  I *think* this is OK, since client
> options aren't processed till after the auth cycle finishes --- but
> check it.  If you are using IsUnderPostmaster to control things then
> you might have a problem, because that gets set too soon.

Is this what you were looking for?  I set client_min_messages to the max
of debug5 and the output is attached.

DEBUG:  ./bin/postmaster child[10023]: starting with (
DEBUG:  postgres
DEBUG:  -v131072
DEBUG:  -p
DEBUG:  test
DEBUG:  )

DEBUG:  InitPostgres
DEBUG:  StartTransactionCommand
DEBUG:  ProcessQuery
DEBUG:  CommitTransactionCommand
DEBUG:  StartTransactionCommand
DEBUG:  ProcessQuery
DEBUG:  CommitTransactionCommand
Welcome to psql, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help on internal slash commands
       \q to quit

test=> show client_min_messages;