Re: keyword (or fulltext) indexes, any planned developments? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: keyword (or fulltext) indexes, any planned developments?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Marc Beneteau wrote:

B> Are there any plans to provide support for keyword indexes in Postgre?
The
> idea is to efficiently index every word in a long text column, in order to
> support queries such as :

There's nothing stopping you using fulltextindex, tsearch or OpenFTS.

> Select... from Products where ProductDescription like "%wool%" and
> ProductDescription like "%black%"
>
> This will work but it requires a table scan.
>
> I found an article in the contrib directory by Maarten Boekhold
> <maartenb@dutepp0.et.tudelft.nl> (see below) , it's a good interim solution
> but it would be much more efficient if this functionality were built-in.

It wouldn't be any more efficient, really - just easier for the punters.
I use contrib/fulltextindex cos it's easy to set up (once you understand
it), and I have contributed some improvements to the code and
documentationfor 7.2 (letting you index more that one column in a table).

Remember, it's hard to give people choice if they can only use the
built-in indexing...

Chris