Re: elog() patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: elog() patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD wrote:

> > New LOG level the prints to server log by default
>
> > Cause VACUUM information to print only to the client in verbose mode
> > VACUUM doesn't output to server logs
>
> Why that ? For me vacuum was one of the more useful messages in the log.
> Or have you added a separate elog(LOG,... ?
> It told me whether the interval between vacuums was good or not.

If you set server_min_messages to DEBUG1, you will get those in the log.
Vacuum was unusual because it was doing DEBUG to the log and not to the
user.  I can change this so it does LOG to the log all the time.  I
changed it to DEBUG1 because I was not sure every VACUUM show be spewing
to the log file.  It didn't see like a standard log message.

Another option is to set server_min_messages to INFO and do a VACUUM
VERBOSE.  That will force those to the log without other DEBUG1
messages.  As you can see, this is going to allow more control over
sending information to different places.

Pennsylvania19026