Re: Oracle vs PostgreSQL in real life - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jean-Paul ARGUDO
Subject Re: Oracle vs PostgreSQL in real life
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi all,

As I wrote it before there, it is an ECPG script that runs with bad perfs.
I put back trace/ notices/debug mode on the server.

Here is an example of what does the debug doesnt stop to do:

c... stuffs are CURSORS

it seems that on every commit, the cursor is closed

[... snip ...]
NOTICE:  Closing pre-existing portal "csearcht04"
NOTICE:  Closing pre-existing portal "csearcht30"
NOTICE:  Closing pre-existing portal "cfindplu"
NOTICE:  Closing pre-existing portal "cfindplu"
NOTICE:  Closing pre-existing portal "cfindplu"
NOTICE:  Closing pre-existing portal "cfindplu"
NOTICE:  Closing pre-existing portal "cfindplu"
NOTICE:  Closing pre-existing portal "cfindplu"
NOTICE:  Closing pre-existing portal "cfindplu"
NOTICE:  Closing pre-existing portal "cfindplu"
NOTICE:  Closing pre-existing portal "csearcht04"
NOTICE:  Closing pre-existing portal "csearcht30"
NOTICE:  Closing pre-existing portal "cfindplu"
NOTICE:  Closing pre-existing portal "cfindplu"
NOTICE:  Closing pre-existing portal "cfindplu"
NOTICE:  Closing pre-existing portal "cfindplu"
NOTICE:  Closing pre-existing portal "cfindplu"
NOTICE:  Closing pre-existing portal "cfindplu"
NOTICE:  Closing pre-existing portal "cfindplu"
[... snip ...]

c... stuffs are CURSORS

it seems that on every commit, the cursor is closed... and re-opened with new
variables'values

btw, as many asked me, queries are VERY simple, there is only a few queries.
Each query works on one table at a time. no joins for example. Only massive bulk
work with CURSORS.

Any way to avoid closing/opening of cursors?
Any tip on porting the best way cursors?;.

thanks in advance.

PS: I am currently testing vacuums between the script to pause the data
manipulation, make a vacuum analyze and continue the treatments.

--
Jean-Paul ARGUDO