Re: should I use postgresql arrays... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Christopher Sawtell
Subject Re: should I use postgresql arrays...
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Saturday 23 February 2002 07:37 pm, Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Using Postgresql array feature  can siplify
> lot of coding in my application layer as well as
> database design , for example for storing checkbox
> selections in a web page i need not have a
> secondary table referencing the master one.
>
> should i be using arrays for that?

It all depends, I have found array operations to be slow. So if you have just
a few elements, like less than 10 then arrays are ok, but with more e.g. 30+
elements, as in my case, imho the whole exercise is not really feasable. I am
going to re-design the schema to get rid of the arrays as soon as I have a
moment. Also the code around that part of PostgreSQL has not been visited for
a fair while and needs some polishing up. I'd avoid them.

> My only concern is the SQL compliance , are arrays
> part of  standard 2/3 standards?
>
> what if at a later date i decide to migrate my database
> to another engine.

You will need to do a fair amount of work to get rid of them.

--
Sincerely etc.,
Christopher Sawtell