Re: elog() proposals - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: elog() proposals
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I just submitted a patch to fix various elog() issues.  I have two
> additional proposals.
>
> First, I think ERROR/DEBUG/NOTICE/FATAL, etc are too generic and cause
> compile problems/warnings, especially with Perl.  I suggest renaming all
> elog levels to PG*, so it would be PGERROR and PGINFO.  We could also do
> E_* or E*.  I am interested in other opinions.

I think we will need to rename symbols for 7.3 to PG_ or E_ or something
like that, but keep #define's in place with the old values through 7.3,
and urge people to update their code for 7.3, and remove the old symbols
in 7.4.  We did this with LIMIT for 7.2.

Pennsylvania19026