[HACKERS] Logical vs. Physical attribute numbering - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject [HACKERS] Logical vs. Physical attribute numbering
Date
List pgsql-hackers
We had a discussion a few days ago about removing attribute padding from
disk storage structures to fit more information on the disk.

Now, I question whether it is worth the added complexity to do this, but
the idea of having different logical and physical numbering of columns
seems like it may solve several problems:
o Columns can be reordered to minimize paddingo We can move variable length columns to the end, improving  performance
oWe can fix inheritance problems in ADD COLUMNo We can implement fast DROP COLUMN by renumbering the column  out of
visibility

Comments?

Pennsylvania19026

http://archives.postgresql.org