Re: table locking - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: table locking
Date
List pgsql-sql
Shane Wright wrote:
> Hi Bruce
>
> Thanks for the information (and the book link, straight in the bookmarks and
> remembered for an Amazon search...)
>
> Anyway, the chapter was helpful, but I'm still stuck.  SERIALIZABLE looks
> like it would do the job, but I don't want any queries to fail/rollback - I'd
> rather they stalled on SET TRANSACTION or LOCK TABLE until the first was
> complete.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> I am also assuming that even with SERIALIZABLE, concurrent SELECTs can
> proceed unhindered?

Actually, I think the default READ COMMITTED will work fine for you.
Backends will block waiting for your write, then continue when you
commit, and reads will not be affected.  I am not totally sure what you
are testing, so I suggest starting two psql sessions and trying it.

Pennsylvania19026