Re: Database Performance? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Database Performance?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Jan Wieck wrote:

> Robert Berger wrote:
> > This argument is out of date. MySQL currently supports
> > transactions, foreign
> > keys, and outer joins. (4.1 will support subselects)
> >
> > As for fault tolerance, MySQL has built in support for replication.
> >
> > A couple years ago I converted a project from MySQL to PostgreSQL
> > because
> > of MySQL's lack of features. I am now in the process of converting
> > back to
> > MySQL because of the performance improvements and replication.
>
>     Just  stating  "support  of  foreign  keys"  is IMHO a little
>     fuzzy.  Are referential actions supported  (ON  UPDATE/DELETE
>     CASCADE,  SET DEFAULT and SET NULL)? Can constraint checks be
>     deferred?  Are multi-key references supported?  If  so,  what
>     about match types?

From a quick look at the docs the docs it appears the answers are no, no,
probably, I don't think so. Admittedly our support is a little weak
(a few bugs, the for update locking issues, and lack of match partial),
but theirs is still a little behind, although I'd guess that 4.1 will
probably start adding some of these things.