Re: User Defined Function - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: User Defined Function
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Marco Tulio wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If I create a user defined function, and use it in a
> CHECK statment when I create a table, its works fine.
>
> But if I need recreate this function, the table can�t
> anymore accept data, because can�t locate the function.
>
> I can�t recreate the table, or I�ll lost data. (ok, I
> can make a dump, and recreate , but...) ...

Unfortunately under 7.1, you'd probably be best off doing
it that way (you could probably mess around with pg_relcheck
and pg_class to remove/change the constraint but that's
iffy).  Under 7.2 you'd be able to either use
create or replace function or alter table drop/add constraint
to maintain it.

> I have another way to use my fuctions to validate datas ?

You could also use a before trigger which would then require
dropping the trigger function and trigger as well, but a check
constraint seems more reasonable.