Re: Database Performance? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jean-Michel POURE
Subject Re: Database Performance?
Date
Re: Database Performance?  (Adrian Phillips <adrianp@powertech.no>)
List pgsql-general
Le Lundi 18 Février 2002 06:18, Andrew Sullivan a écrit :
> I'd like to see some real benchmarks under load comparing PostgreSQL
> and MySQL+InnoDB.  It seems that such would be an apples::apples (ok,
> maybe one's an overbred hybrid apple, but still an apple) comparison
> at last.  Anyone know how to do as much?

Dear Andrew,

The main difference is that PostgreSQL allows server-side programming and
does things smartly:

PostgreSQL supports triggers, rules, views, functions and types to deliver
ready to use data to your backend (Apache, Java, Windows). PostgreSQL has
several server-side languages (PLpgSQL, PLperl, PLbash, etc...) and may soon
support Java server-side programming. It allows the storage of multi-byte
data, including Unicode support.

Optimization is 10% hardware, 90% software programming. The way you build
tables, views and program server-side logic can boost your application by a
factor of 10. As a result, an optimized database with PostgreSQL running on a
i586 with IDE discs may handle more transactions than a double Pentium MySQL
with Ultra-wide SCSI. This is life ! This is not a question hardware
benchmark.

Your email clearly shows that MySQL lacks features. Pease keep in mind that
MySQL is developped by a single man (who accepts patches from others), not a
community of developpers like PostgreSQL.

But a tool is only worth "what you are doing with it". If you are a part-time
hacker, MySQL may suffice for simple SELECT or UPDATE queries. IMHO, MySQL
can only be used in an Apache environment with PERL/PHP. Also, do not use it
in an ODBC environment, it is simply too buggy. This is personal experience.

On the converse, if you are looking for a professional tool, go for
PostgreSQL. Probably, the best way to start is http://pgadmin.postgresql.org
and install pgAdmin2, PostgreSQL Windows GUI. pgAdmin2 makes programming very
easy.

Modern computing is "do it yourself and make your own
mind". In a production environment, you will see it is not like apple:apple.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE