Re: Solaris and effective_cache_size - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Solaris and effective_cache_size
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 11:17:42AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> Actually, the default 1000 setting is probably very much on the low side
> --- that's only equivalent to 8 meg of disk cache space after all, and
> on any reasonably modern box there's probably lots more RAM than that
> being used for disk cache.

Yes, that's why I started playing with it.  But performance degrades
again if you raise it too much.  I've had similar results with our
own application.

> However, I'm quite surprised to hear that tweaking effective_cache_size
> affects pgbench results at all.  I'd have thought that all the queries
> used by pgbench would be indexscans anyway...

I was sort of surprised by that, too.  But the effect is totally
consistent over dozens of tests.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110