Re: TPC-H - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: TPC-H
Date
List pgsql-general
f2160528@est.fib.upc.es wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how to install a TPC-H
> database in postgreSQL??

ReHi,

    what exactly do you mean with "install a TPC-H database"?

    I  long  have  evidence  that  most  people  who  talk  about
    benchmarks never really read any specs.  This  is  not  meant
    personal against you or anyone else around here, but who here
    ever read the TPC-C, -H or  -W  specifications?  Neither  the
    pgbench  we  have,  nor  the  FUD  the MySQL lemmings love to
    believe in has anything to do with the word benchmark.

    Thus, asking for a TPC-H (the datawarehouse  test  suite)  is
    not  bad.   But  one big mistake made over and over again is,
    that people think TPC suites are  database  benchmarks.  They
    are  NOT.  In fact, they describe what the TPC calls a System
    Under Test (SUT) on a business process level and a couple  of
    technical aspects for a possible implementation. What someone
    finally uses to implement the described application, is up to
    her.

    So  for  the  TPC-W  for  example,  it  is  up  to you if you
    implement that entire book shop in PHP,  J2EE,  ASP,  ADP  or
    CGI.  You  are  free to use Apache, IIS, AOLServer, Tomcat or
    any other thing that is intended to put out  dynamic  content
    on  port  80.  The  database  behind  it  (if  you use an SQL
    database at all) is just one little piece of the entire  SUT.

    The  result  of  the  entire thing will NOT tell you MySQL is
    faster than PostgreSQL (first because it's not, second that's
    not what the test questions at all).

    For  more  information you can find the specifications of all
    the test suites on the website of the Transaction  Processing
    Performance Council

    http://www.tpc.org.

Jan