Re: feature request START WITH ... CONNECT BY - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jean-Paul ARGUDO
Subject Re: feature request START WITH ... CONNECT BY
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Recently I found an Oracle extension, START WITH .. CONNECT BY, which
> greatly eases parsing of n-way tree structures stored in table format.
>
> I'd prefer implementing this myself, but alas, I feel I need something
> which is a bit easier, to get accustomed to the code base.

Hi,

I am currently porting business application from Oracle to PG, for one of our
customers.

I work hardly on migrating CONNECT BY queries, using the really good libraries
from OpenACS project (version 4).

It a kind of 1 day/man to enable tree structure in PG for one table accessed
with a CONNECT BY query.

So I'll be really glad to you if you enable CONNECT BY statments in PG!!

So, what you want to know about connect by statment?

read:
http://www.arsdigita.com/books/sql/trees.html

and:
http://openacs.org/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0000j6&topic_id=12&topic=OpenACS%204%2e0%20Design

download OpenACS source code for version 4.x and :

We're using this extensively in openacs4. If you download the latest code, you
can find the tree encoding table and some tree-utility routines in
openacs-4/packages/acs-kernel/sql/postgresql/postgresql.sql.For

corresponding trigger routines look at      openacs-4/packages/acs-kernel/sql/postgresql/acs-objects-create.sql -
specifically look at the acs_objects table definition and its associated      triggers.
      With regards to inheritance, we looked seriously at prior to starting the
opeancs4 porting activities and we opted not to use it because it was      deficient in serveral areas.
      -- Dan Wickstrom, September 7, 2001

Hope this helps

--
Jean-Paul ARGUDO                             IDEALX S.A.S
Consultant bases de données            15-17, av. de Ségur