Re: [GENERAL] Feature enhancement request : use of libgda in - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Feature enhancement request : use of libgda in
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 03:58:43PM +0100, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> My humble and personnal opinion, shared by many end-users, is that
> CREATE TABLE AS (or whatever based on CREATE TABLE AS and UPDATE
> FROM) is not a valid alternative. A database sysadmin with 500
> tables, triggers and rules cannot use alternatives. We need some
> basic features :
> - to modify schema objects (CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW, CREATE OR REPLACE
> TRIGGER).
> - to drop schema objects (ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN).
>
> I would be very please if some users could express themselves. What
> is your opinion as regards CREATE TABLE AS, ALTER TABLE DROP
> COLUMN, etc...

Low priority.  You can work around these limitations without too much
difficulty.  Point-in-time recovery is currently _impossible_.  If
one is going to add features, it is better to concentrate on adding
big, category-killer features than refining little features that can
be worked around.

That said, Postgres is free.  You can do what you like with it.  If
anyone wants to work on "create or replace", &c., s/he is free to do
so.  If it's that important to you, implement it yourself, or pay one
of the able developers to work on a feature you want.  Heck, even if
you pay for the feature to be implemented, it'll cost you less than
Oracle licenses.

--
----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue