Re: Fetature enhancement request : use of libgda in PostgreSQL to access legacy databases. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jean-Michel POURE
Subject Re: Fetature enhancement request : use of libgda in PostgreSQL to access legacy databases.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Le Lundi 11 Février 2002 10:12, Andrea Aime a écrit :
> did you notice http://gasql.sourceforge.net in the applications section
> of the gnome-db site? It is supposed to be a PostgreSQL administration
> tool, and seems to be nice looking at the screenshots... maybe you
> just need to remove GNOME integration...
> Just my 2 cents :-)

Dear Andrea,

The purpose of my last mail was to propose the integration a libgda client
into PostgreSQL. For example, it should be possible to attach an Oracle table
into PostgreSQL, with the ability to run SELECTs, UPDATEs and maybe JOIN
queries (???).

This is pure computer-fiction, but MySQL might well provide such feature as
well and query PostgreSQL objects...

Coming back to gasql, if we happen to port pgAdmin2
(http://pgadmin.postgresql.org) to Linux, why not use libgda and create a
multi-vendor GUI directly.

People were discussing lately about adding SQL compatibility layers in
PostgreSQL (i.e Oracle compatibility). IMHO, this is not the right direction
to go first because it would demand too much investment.

On the converse, if we integrate libgda BOTH into PostgreSQL AND in a future
GUI client, we are winning.

Just my 2 cents. My opinion is that the community should concentrate on real
issues, starting with the most needed ones (ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN, CREATE
OR REPLACE VIEW, CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER) and then work on GUI tools and
abstraction layers to open PostgreSQL to the world.

Just my 2 cents. What do you think my friends?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE