Re: I found it, I FOUND IT!! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: I found it, I FOUND IT!!
Date
List pgsql-general
> changed the file permission to '755'. After doing this, I created the
> link files:
>
> ln -s /etc/init.d/posgresql/linux  /etc/rc0.d/K02postgresql
> ln -s /etc/init.d/posgresql/linux  /etc/rc1.d/K02postgresql
> ln -s /etc/init.d/posgresql/linux  /etc/rc2.d/K02postgresql
> ln -s /etc/init.d/posgresql/linux  /etc/rc3.d/S98postgresql
> ln -s /etc/init.d/posgresql/linux  /etc/rc4.d/S98postgresql
> ln -s /etc/init.d/posgresql/linux  /etc/rc5.d/S98postgresql

That will work.. however the convention is to just have the script in
/etc/init.d, in other words, you don't need a postgresql *directory*, just
move the contents of linux into a *file* called /etc/init.d/postgresql, and I
think that's what the developers intended when creating the file "linux".

> I would assume that it's not running because psql is not a recognized
> command.

That is not an effective way to determine whether postgresql is running or
not. If psql is not found as a command, you should find the binary (should be
somewhere like /usr/local/postgresql/bin/psql) and then add the directory
path to your $PATH environment. Try this:
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/postgresql/bin/

To determine if it's running, you can use the other guy's suggestion of:
ps ax|grep postmaster

Jeff