Re: I found it, I FOUND IT!! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From will trillich
Subject Re: I found it, I FOUND IT!!
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 12:38:44PM -0500, Mayan wrote:
> Two questions: How can I find out in what level I am running and in regards to the 'ps ax ...' code
> you mentioned this is what's displayed on the screen:
>
> 1132 pts/1    S    0:00 grep postmaster.
>
> Is this what I'd want to see? Does it mean that postgresql is running?

nope. that's grep seeing itself -- "grep postmaster" is the
command you issued to find any process having "postmaster" in
the command line. as it turns out, the "grep" was the only one.

try
    runlevel
to see which runlevel you're in (debian usually starts with 2).
it'll show you the previous runlevel and the current runlevel:
    N 2
i'm in runlevel 2 now, and was previously at runlevel N (which i
think means startup/null/none, but i may be all wet).

apparently you DON'T have postmaster running.

try the tips in my other message (minutes ago) and see if that
helps you...

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #11 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
: