Re: Threaded PosgreSQL server - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Karel Zak
Subject Re: Threaded PosgreSQL server
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 11:17:51AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> <mkscott@sacadia.com> writes:
> > I can definitely take a stab aat it.  Maybe I can make a test case with
> > some globals that are accessed often submit some patches to see what
> > people think.  Can I send them to you?
>
> I have a sneaking feeling that what you are going to come up with is a
> multi-megabyte patch to convert CurrentMemoryContext into a non-global,
> which will require changing the parameter list of damn near every
> routine in the backend.
Sorry I not too careful watch this discussion, but if I see thatyou are talking about PostgreSQL memory management and
threadsI have have a note.

I and Dan Horak one year work on Mape project (http://mape.jcu.cz) and we already have ported good postgres memory
managementinto thread daemon. It works very well and it's transparend solution -- you not must rewrite routines that
useMamoryContextSwitchTo or palloc() and other stuff, because everything is based on thread-specific contexts (see man
aboutpthread_key_create). With this solution you not must change to muchthings in current code.       Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/C, PostgreSQL, PHP, WWW, http://docs.linux.cz,
http://mape.jcu.cz