Re: Threaded PosgreSQL server - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Karel Zak
Subject Re: Threaded PosgreSQL server
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 12:03:56PM +0200, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Btw, have you tried comparing pgbench runs on threaded model vs forked
> model. IIRC your code can run both ways.
It depend on OS. For example do fork and create thread is very simular on Linux. May be ..can be some speed difference
betweenlocking and access to shared memory?

IMHO in thread version is problem with backend crash (user's bugs in PL .etc).

> > You can do this with processes (planned for 7.3 I think) but I
> > think it was much easier with threads.  Other things may open up with
> > threads as well like Java stored procedures.  Anyway, now I think it is
> > worth it.
Are all current PL interpereters thread safe?
       Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/C, PostgreSQL, PHP, WWW, http://docs.linux.cz,
http://mape.jcu.cz