Re: Query with Parameters - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jeff Eckermann
Subject Re: Query with Parameters
Date
List pgsql-sql
One possible way, from the psql command line: \set field some_field \set table some_table \i myscript
where "myscript" contains: select :field from :table;
You can do this from a script by calling psql with the
-f and -v options.  Check the psql man page (or the
docs) for more information.

Alternatively, you could try a function: the field and
table names can be assigned dynamically using EXECUTE.You could then populate a temporary table with the
results, and fetch those with a separate SELECT
statement (this gets around the inability to return
resultsets directly from the function).