Re: Change size of varchar(20) field - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Change size of varchar(20) field
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 11:08:57AM -0800, Elaine Lindelef wrote:
> Has anyone discovered any workaround to the lack of a full ALTER
> TABLE that preserves the OID for each row? I am finding that for
> insurance I have to assign each table an SERIAL of my own to create
> an autoincremented ID that I can control - because using OID as a key
> requires me to update the key throughout the database if I have to
> drop the table.

Probably a good idea anyway since OIDs are not guarenteed to be unique. At
least by using a SERIAL you will notice when the it wraps around. I think in
7.2 the OID column will be optional.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/