Re: Getting fields in a table through a query? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Getting fields in a table through a query?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Mitch Vincent wrote:

> How can I get the fields in a given table via an SQL query even if there are
> no records in that table? I just need the names of all the fields in a
> table -- is that even possible?

select * from pg_attribute, pg_class where attrelid=pg_class.oid and
relname='<table name>' and attnum>0;
should give you all the user columns on the table specified as <table
name>

(If you want to get system columns like oid, you can leave off the
attnum>0)