Re: Per-database and per-user GUC settings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Per-database and per-user GUC settings
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > I agree we should not propagate config changes to children on SIGHUP.
> > The only major question I had was that command-line flags get wiped out
> > by postgresql.conf settings on SIGHUP.  I know someone pointed this
> > out but has a solution been proposed?  That would surprise any admin.
>
> I think it's desirable and fully intentional.  How else would you override
> command-line args without restarting the server?  I can see where there
> might be a concern, but in my mind, if you're using command-line arguments
> in permanent setups, you're not trying hard enough.

But right now, our command-line arguments override postgresql.conf only
on startup; if they reload, postgresql.conf overrides command-line args.
Seems very counter-intuitive to me.

I can't think of an acceptable solution so the best one may be to just
remove the command-line args completely.

Pennsylvania19026