Re: Multibyte encoding vs. SQL_ASCII vs. locales and European languages - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Frank Joerdens
Subject Re: Multibyte encoding vs. SQL_ASCII vs. locales and European languages
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 02:14:33PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Frank Joerdens <frank@joerdens.de> writes:
> > Hence my question was not "What do I gain from multibyte
> > support when I don't need multibyte support?" but "what do I get from
> > specifying Latin1 encoding (which is only available when compiling
> > with --enable-multibyte) and what do I lose when using locales or
> > sql_ascii?".
>
> You need LOCALE support if you want smarts about sort order, case
> conversion, etc.  This is orthogonal to MULTIBYTE.

OK! That answers my question (didn't see your mail a few minutes ago
when I posted my last).

Actually, just out of curiosity, then how do you sort Chinese, for
instance . . . ? I happen to know that Chinese dictionaries are usually
ordered by so-called radicals, combinations of strokes that appear in
any of the 4000 (simplified mainland Chinese) or so characters, of which
there are about 250.

Regards, Frank